Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"How to Hug a Porcupine"


This may seem like an unlikely book to review, but let me just say, I am only 5 chapters into it and it has changed my life already.  No other book, aside from the scriptures, has caused more meditation and self-reflection. 

I received this book as a wedding gift actually.  I thought that was a bit of an interesting gift at the time, and it has collected dust over the last two years in Texas.  However, a couple days ago I started reading, and I cannot put it down, or get it off my mind. 

The book "How to Hug a Porcupine" talks about how to deal with toxic personalities. 

Side note: NO I am not in a toxic relationship.  NO I am not in a toxic marriage.  And NO I am not dealing with a particularly toxic person in my life as of right now.  YES I have been in these kinds of relationships before.  And YES I have dealt with these kinds of people before (everyone does in their life).

Everyone has a few (or more) toxic personality traits that they can work on.  This book identifies the different types of traits, personalities and habits that can be harmful to yourself and others.  Within the last week I have already noticed a difference in my marriage (not that it was bad).  That wasn't because Steven changed at all, but because I was able to label some of my faults and I have found the motivation and inspiration to change those faults into strengths.

For instance, I have the habit of overlooking everything that has been done and only noticing the undone.  Did you know this is a toxic personality trait?  I didn't! And instead of becoming overly stressed and taking it out on my husband, I have been able to take a deep breath and reassure myself that my life really will be ok if we wait until tomorrow to vacuum. 

There is a part of me that wishes that I could make everyone in the world read this book.  I think so many relationships would be spared pain, neglect, sorrow, loss, betrayal, ect. if they could just learn how to identify these toxicities, how to become their own best-self and then learn how to protect yourself from a harmful person or relationship. 

So there's my plug.  I highly recommend it to anyone.  And I think this may be a wedding gift I give to any new couple for the rest of my life.

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of it but not read it, yet! Thanks for the great review! Lucy Frost recommended it many years ago!

    ReplyDelete